Saturday, October 13, 2012

Challenge Accepted!: 55 Fiction.


Eternal Optimist

“Is it possible that this will give me super powers?” I asked with a smile. Mom didn’t find it funny. How could she? This cold, florescent treatment center didn’t scream for laughter. “I’m hoping for flight, or telekinesis.” I didn’t get powers, or a cure. But I got a few more weeks to say goodbye.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post script: I was reading this post in another blog about a genre of writing called "55 Fiction". You could read her story here. The idea of 55 Fiction is to write a story that has exactly 55 words in it. The criteria as copied from her blog: 

A literary work will be considered 55 Fiction if it has:
Fifty-five words or less (A non-negotiable rule), however some publishers actually require exactly 55 words, no more and no less.
A setting,
One or more characters,
Some conflict, and
A resolution. (Not limited to moral of the story)
The title of the story is not part of the overall word count, but it still can’t exceed seven words.



I was challenged by a friend to write under the confines of 55 Fiction . Challenge accepted! Above was my attempt. It's an interesting genre, and I find it's rules both challenging and fun. It's the literary equivalent of Twitter. It's not my default style, I'm a man of many words, but I do find it interesting. Anyhow...
Challenge: Completed



No comments:

Post a Comment