Saturday, December 15, 2012

Today


I’m not going to write about yesterday’s tragic shooting in Newtown. Nobody needs another article, blog, or random person’s insight to know what happened yesterday was a horrific event. Nothing I can say will ease anyone’s minds. Nothing I can say will give those families their children back. I am but another person, miles away, whose heart breaks for those affected, and whose thoughts are with them during this nightmare. I might share my opinions on how people have reacted to this tragedy; some disappointing, others inspiring, but I won’t share them today. Today I can only hope that the worst is over for those who lost a loved one, and that they can be left un-harassed by the media to grieve. Today the rest of us start returning to our normal lives. We’ll play football games, shop for the holidays, party with our friends, watch movies, laugh at funny things on the internet, spend time with our families, and hopefully we’ll appreciate it all a lot more. We get to wake up and resume our normal lives today; there are a lot of people out there who won’t have that luxury. Tomorrow isn’t promised to anyone. Take a step back and look at what you have to be thankful for, and appreciate it.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I found out about the shooting through Facebook and I can honestly say that I had NO idea that it happened before then. I was psyched to go see The Hobbit and had posted about that, and then was flooded with status updates about Newtown. A lot of my friends went a little overboard; yes, it is sad and disturbing and horrible, but seeing news updates and photos of children crying posted by the same person every five minutes is just what that asshole would have wanted.

    I went to high school in Connecticut and while I am heartbroken over the loss of the children, parents and teachers that were lost yesterday, I recommend that we try to look at this in a positive way. Call your family and tell them you love them. Spend time with your friends that live near you. Do random nice things for strangers. Hopefully what comes out of this is a better healthcare system for the US that recognizes mental disabilities, and also stricter gun control laws.

    I agree- be thankful for what you have now, because it might not be around tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I linked to this post in my latest, because I loved what you had to say.

    http://kosherthis.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-more-you-know.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nugs, I'm glad you liked it. What scares me about this whole thing, is that crazy people are always going to find away. Yesterday in China (nearly the same time the Newtown tragedy was occurring) a man went into an elementary school with a knife and attacked 20 kids. Crazy people are everywhere, and they seem to always find a way. I'm glad to see in your post that you're trying to counter the violence, even the smallest things make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are truly no words when something like this happens. Nothing one says can express your feelings. You adressed it well!

    Scary and sad

    Makes you realize how stuff like this can happen anywhere at anytime with not real notice :(

    ~Ashley (found you on 20sb)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things out there make you really worry what the world is coming to. Thanks for reading Ashley, I'm always glad to see my fellow 20SB people here.

      Delete