Thursday, January 3, 2013

Social Network Etiquette


Is there a social networking etiquette class somewhere I can send people to? There should be. I don't even know where I picked-up on what I consider to be proper etiquette for social networking, but I’m starting a list. Maybe we can help some people.

1. Do NOT like your own status. Clearly you like it or you wouldn't have posted it. This makes you look as though you're dying for the attention. It's really kind of sad. No, it’s not cute or funny, just sad.

2. Your profile picture should be of you.
A. This does not mean a picture of your new baby. Your friends and family that want to see the baby can look in a folder on your page that says "New baby!"
B. Unless your car is going to go all Transformer on us and turn into you, don't set your profile pic to be of your car, okay Optimus?
C. This also goes for pics of Super-heroes, movie stars, cartoons, comics, etc.. Unless you're out fighting crime in a mask with your underwear over your pants, we don't want it as your profile pic. If you are though, please post videos… that could be entertaining.

3. Stop with the sermons and religious banter constantly! It's not called Preachbook. I don't need a daily bible verse or to hear you tell me how I should live my life. I don't mind that everyone has different beliefs; just don't fill my wall with it. I'm sure if Jesus was around still he wouldn't be trying to save me via Facebook. Liking this status about Jesus isn’t going to keep me out of Heaven or get me into it. It’s not saving you either.

4. Do not hold a conversation through comments on someone’s status. Facebook has a chat feature at the bottom. So use it, instead of having a conversation in a wall post for everyone to see.

5. PLEASE at least attempt to spell words correctly. If you can't, fine, but at least have the dignity to attempt it. Also, please use some punctuation. This is a legit status by someone on my Facebook: "I just want to b happy damn why cant ppl just mind there own bussiness i desrve to b happy to only tryn to make something out of myself quit hatin bc were gona b together thru every and anything..." I can seriously point out 20 mistakes off the top of my head in that status. It's sad to see. (Disclaimer: I removed that person from my friends list. It was unbearable to keep seeing.)

6. Post things in the appropriate place. The other day I had a Facebook status talking about a football game. My friend commented on it and we were talking about how the game was going then suddenly his aunt pops in and says “I love your profile pic! Your baby is getting so big! She looks just like you!” That’s a nice sentiment that I’m sure you couldn’t wait to share, but learn to post these things on that persons wall or in a message. Seriously, nobody else cares to see it.

7. There is such a thing as too old for Facebook. If you don’t understand the difference between a message, a comment, and a status, maybe social networking isn’t for you. It may not be your age that makes you too old, just your mentality towards modern technology. I had a family member a while back freaking out because of the things that were being posted “On her Facebook” because she didn’t want her co-workers to “see that stuff.” I told her to delete it, and she said she couldn’t. It turned out that it was just her newsfeed. She thought anything she saw in her newsfeed could be seen by anyone who visited her page.

That's the only things to come to mind, but if you have more feel free to comment. I’d love to add to it. Also, why the hell has Facebook not given us a dislike button yet? Seriously, it’s been YEARS. We’ve had a billion changes we never thought about or asked for, yet you can’t give us the one thing we have all been vocal about for the last five years? Get your shit together Zuckerberg!

8 comments:

  1. Omg I completely agree! How hard is it to add a dislike button? Gosh! And I loved this post! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as far as Facebook etiquette- get rid of "it's complicated" as a relationship status- I just feel like that is too much information and just a cue for people to be like "aawwww, what's wrong?" But, hey! To each their own! But I can't imagine it feels so great for your significant other to see that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. Facebook gets so annoying sometimes. More people should be aware of these rules. I will admit to breaking rule #2, though. Right now, my profile picture is a black & white photo of Greta Garbo, mostly because I was sick of looking at my own face. But she sort of looks like me. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - It's ridiculous, just give us what we asked for already!

    Destiny - The whole "It's complicated" thing has always baffled me. I might have to add that to the next installment of Social Network etiquette with the added bit about all forms of relationship drama that has no business being broadcast on the internet.

    Lauren - Everyone makes mistakes. Now that you know the rules just try not to let it happen again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true! Especially the baby profile picture - If I wanted to see your kid, I'd add them as a friend! Hilarious and well written post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in the day when copy/paste statuses were all the rage, I tried to do a PSA about FB rules.

    I support all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see everyone is agreeing with these rules. I thank you all for the kind comments. I'll have a Part 2 coming soon and I hope you all still approve.

    ReplyDelete